Gas Safety in rental property – What your agent does for you Part 6

Landlords: If you have gas appliances in your rental property they must be checked every year, and an annual Gas Safety Certificate issued by a Gas Safe engineer. We explore why you should use a letting/management agent?

Gas appliances must be checked by a Gas Safe Engineer


How does your letting agent help?
Any gas installation and appliances in rented property should be safe. In the UK it is a legal requirement for landlords to have gas appliances checked by a Gas Safe engineer annually. Your Letting or Estate agent can arrange these inspections on your behalf. This can benefit you by finding the most competitive rates. They will liaise with tenants to get access to the property for workmen. Once the work is done the bills can typically be paid from the rent collected. Perhaps the most important role your managing agent plays is the keeping records of due dates and certification.

Letting and managing agents build up good relations with reputable local tradesmen and this often leads to these engineers giving priority to their agents when there is an emergency or urgent job to deal with. It is in their interests to make sure a bigger client like a letting/estate agent is happy in circumstances where they might keep an individual waiting.

Tenants are often not as patient as homeowners when it comes to repairs so this can be beneficial to landlords who value hanging onto their good tenants.

CORGI replaced by Gas Safe
The old approved registration for Gas installers was called CORGI, and many people still refer to it even though it been replaced by the Gas Safe Register. Any gas fitter in the UK, Guernsey, and Isle of Man must be on the register to work legally on gas installations and gas appliances. Any reputable agent will only allow any gas related work at your rental property to be carried out by a Gas Safe engineer. If your agent does not comply with this basic standard then they put you and themelves at risk of prosecution, in which case you should get yourself a new managing agent.

The engineer will test that the appliance is working safely and write a report on their findings. This will include any mandatory work, any recommended work, and an any notes for the future. If you are arranging an engineer yourself it is worth checking that they are Gas Safe registered (and not just claiming to be) you can check their credentials on the Gas Safe Register site here.

When to get your Gas Safety Certificate
Your letting agent should arrange your Gas Safety Certificate to be issued before you let your property. Do not leave it until the tenants move in. We understand this means you incur costs before the property is let but moving tenants into a potentially unsafe environment has legal implications for you as landlord and for your letting/management agent. You may have a valid Landlords Gas Safety Certificate already in place from a previous tenancy and this is perfectly acceptable. Your letting agent should have a copy for their own records. You do not need to have a gas safety inspection carried out at the beginning or end of each tenancy – just on an annual basis.

Renewing your Gas Safety Certificate when appliances are serviced saves you money
If you are not sure when to have appliances serviced and maintained, it is worth noting that although anniversaries of renewal are likely to be dictated by the first tenancy, it is actually a good idea to have gas appliances tested, serviced, and maintained in the spring and summer. That way if there are problems to be addressed the tenant will be less inconvenienced. Finding a reliable GasSafe engineer, with time to make repairs, will be much easier in the summer too. There is no problem with having two Landlords Gas Safety Certificates issued within a year if you decide to make your dates coincide, just don’t wait for longer than 12 months t have your safety certificate issued.

Remedial works – your agents role
If the engineer finds a gas appliance or installation is not safe he is obliged to disconnect it and place a warning sticker on it (like the one below), so the tenant cannot use it, until it is repaired. This can upset tenants and so it may be helpful for you to have a letting agent as a middleman to deal with their concerns.

One of the best ways to prevent this inconvenience to your tenant is to have the appliance serviced when you have it tested. This is most appropriate for gas boilers and fires. Many landlords assume that their appliance will be serviced as part of the fee, but actually it is more like a car MOT – the engineer is simply testing performance and not carrying out any maintenance work. Your managing agent can arrange to have the appliance serviced at the same time as the annual gas safety check, and it is often cheaper to have this done together, rather than on two separate visits.

Remedial works are tax deductible and any good managing agent will receive the bill on your behalf, deduct the amount from rent paid by the tenant and pay the contractor for you. Your letting agent will keep records and issue statements which you can use to fill in tax returns.

About Riley Marshall Limited
Riley Marshall are Estate agents who specialist in letting and management of properties in South East London. If you would like us to come out to discuss managing your property around Greenwich, Shad Thames, Bermondsey, Rotherhithe, Deptford, Lewisham or New Cross areas then please do contact us for a free valuation. For other blogs on matters relating to property please visit our main blog page.


6 thoughts on “Gas Safety in rental property – What your agent does for you Part 6

  1. Appliances for Rental is a very good option. it is very convenient for people who don’t have fixed property or job or we can say students who stay for their education purpose can’t buy appliances, so renting appliances is really a nice service.

  2. Thanks for the post. It’s not just appliances that should be checked for safety but also flues. See Part F of The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. Regards Tom @ Jungle Property

  3. As of 31st December 2012 if a gas engineer cannot view a boiler flue along its length they will be entitled to advise the homeowner that the installation is ‘at risk’ and will seek permission to turn it off.
    Gas safety inspections in rented houses will have highlighted this potential problem, and should have been rectified before now, any properties new to the rental market might have to have this work carried out prior to renting. This is one more reason that inspections should be carried out in a timely manner.

  4. I have rented an property in London Colney,St Albans.And for the last 3 years the Landlord didn’t give me any Gas Safety Certificates,I ask him every year but he promise will give me and never did.
    Am asking now if is any authority where I can complain about.
    I hope you can give me some advice.
    Best regards Alex.

    • I am not sure if you mean the checks have been done, but you just haven’t received a record?

      New tenants should receive a copy of the record before they move in and existing tenants should get a copy within 28 days of the annual check being carried out. If you don’t have a current gas safety record you can report to HSE via form LGSR1.

      We strongly recommend that you advise your landlord that you are about to take this action.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s